PCA Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I use Patient Care Analyst?
The PCA client is published for Internet use via Citrix® server. Users must have an active TCP/IP connection to the Internet to use PCA through a Citrix® Web Client.
- How and where do I get a Citrix Web client?
In order to run Patient Care Analyst, you will need to download and install a Citrix® web client. You can download the Windows version of the software or download a client for your specific OS (Windows/Linux).
- How do I download and install the Citrix® web client?
Directions for Citrix® download:
- Obtain the web client software by clicking here or here.
- Choose “Run this program from its current location.” Click OK. This step could take several minutes if you are using a dial-up modem.
- Click Yes (on the security screen).
- Click Yes (to install).
- Click Yes (to accept the agreement).
- Click OK.
**NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A FIREWALL OR PROXY SERVER, PORTS 1604 AND 1494 MUST BE OPEN. Try to connect first, if this fails contact your system administrator to ensure these ports are open.
- How do I export a report?
- If your report does not already have a title, type in a title for it at the top of the page in the “Report Title” box.
- From the Export menu, select Export Report.
- When the print preview screen appears, click the Export button at the top of the page.
- A “Save As” box will appear. From the drop down menu, choose your local drive (which will look like “C$ (\\Client)(V:)”).
- Choose the format for your saved report in from the “Save as type” drop down menu.
- Type in the name you wish to save it as and click “Save”.
- I was a previous user of PCA; can I use my old Citrix® connection?
Although it is still possible to use the Citrix® ICA Program Neighborhood to connect to PCA, it is recommended that you download the new Citrix® web client and access PCA through www.patientcareanalyst.com.
- I have forgotten my username/password, what do I do?
You have a few options to retrieve your login credentials:
- Contact Technical Assistance and open a new ticket. List your name, company name, email address, and phone number.
- Or call us at (804) 245-8240 for immediate assistance.
- Who do I contact if I have a question not listed in this FAQ?
- You can contact Technical Assistance and open a new ticket. Be sure to list your name, company name, email address, phone number, and problem that you are having.
- Or call us at (804) 245-8240.
- I am behind a firewall, is there anything that I must do differently to connect to PCA?
If you have a firewall or proxy server, the only thing you must ensure is that ports 1604 and 1494 are open. If your connection fails, contact your system administrator or IT department to ensure these ports are open.
- My main computer is a Macintosh, what must I do to connect to PCA?
Depending on your version of Mac OS, you may be able to use the client located here, but we cannot guarantee that it will work. If your operating system is Mac OS X (on Intel-based Macs which are the newer models) and you are an advanced user, you may be able to use the Linux Client located here. The preferred OS is Windows.
- When I try to log into PCA through Remote Desktop or Citrix, the connection hangs then fails. What can I do?
This is called an orphaned session or ghost login. There is a known bug with Windows Terminal Services where a session is not logged off properly from the Remote Desktop session. This leaves a ghost behind, so to speak, and causes future connections to fail. You can call the SMA Tech Support number at (804) 245-8240 or create a ticket on our Technical Assistance Website. Our technicians can then administratively log off the ghost login in question, allowing you to log back in as normal.
- I was able to export reports to my local computer or company's network but for some reason I cannot export anymore.
If your computer has changed in any way since you last used PCA, there is a good chance that the settings which tell your web browser how to handle Citrix connections has been changed to the default Java client. By design, Java does not normally allow direct access to local resources (this includes network resources) when run from a web browser.
The fix for this is an easy one, just follow these steps:
- Log into the Citrix page as normal (Tier 1 login) but do not open PCA yet.
- Click on the Preferences button in the menu bar at the top of the page under the Citrix logo.
- Click on the Connection Preferences (the plug) option at the bottom right.
- Click the button labeled "Run Client Detection."
- On the next screen, ignore everything to the left and look to the box on the right. You should have an option titled "Already Installed." Click this option.
- You will be sent back to the screen where you can open Patient Care Analyst. Go ahead and do so at this point.
- Once you've logged into PCA, try to export a report. If everything went smoothly, you should now be able to export again.
If you are still unable to export after following the above steps, please call (804) 245-8240 or create a ticket on our Technical Assistance Website.